Safety is the number one concern when it comes to a co-op work placements. The concern is not limited to physical injury to the student and/or co-workers, and/or damage to property and equipment. Company security issues and safety of host's clients, patients and customers are also premium. Issues relating to confidentiality, liability and even violence and sexual abuse are some of the very serious concerns associated with some placements. Below will attempt to identify what must be done in order to qualify for various placements, but first:

<<<"CLICK" to watch this video to see how real and how important it is to be aware and properly trained in the work place. WARNING: This video below has some graphics and language that some may find offensive
So that you don't become a statistic

Minimum safety requirements for all co-ops: WHMIS, OH&S and Emergency 1st Aid
These tickets are also very common requirements in the workplace and post secondary training and educational entry requirements.
 << Co-op students log in to take your WHMIS certification course and OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety Orientation).
<< An alternative certificate = St. John Ambulance WHMIS which is also done online,

- technically it doesn't expire, but is encouraged to be refreshed every 2-3 yrs.

  • Emerg. 1st Aid online training complemented with a 1/2 day practical session and has a 3yr expiry
  •  Standard 1st aid = a second day on top of the emergency/CPR course above is also available for 10-20 people.
  •  Health Care Provider First Aid has 3rd day extensive CPR component

Here are a few workplace safety stats for you to think about: According to the government of Canada;

Categorical Placement Requirements:

Career Types Special Requirements Descriptions and where and how you might obtain these requirements  
Health Care
Social Services
Police Checks: Healthcare, education and security type co-ops often require Police checks including vulnerable sector check. It only takes about 15 minutes to obtain one at the Inverness RCMP depot. You must present >>>> a photo ID, like your drivers license, along with either health card or birth certificate for them to do the check.
It is best to call ahead (902-258-2213) to insure you may be accommodated.
Social Services
Day Care
Child Abuse Register Check <<<< "Click" for instructions and to download PDF form needed to be processed prior to any placement at a daycare centre, school or other places such dealing with early childhood intervention.  
Food Prep
NS Food Handling Students in a culinary arts (restaurant, bakery or food production) will need to obtain their Food Handling Certificate.  application form>>>
Marine Related: Special note: We require that all marine related co-ops students obtain:
  •  MED A-1 (Marine Emergency Duty safety training) Prior to taking this 3 day firefighting and survival training.
  • They MUST first  acquire their CDN # @ the marine transport office in Port Hawkesbury. You simply fill out a form and produce a proof of citizenship and picture ID. Medical card can also be included as ID.
  • All Ocean fishing co-op student must obtain their "Fisher's Helpers Licence"

For more details and other marine related requirements, use the button at the top or "Click Here"

TEST YOURSELF<<<"CLICK" to test your safety readiness for your placement by taking safety quizzes pertaining to your workplace environment.

 The total cost of workplace accidents in Canada is estimated at $10 billion per year. In Nova Scotia, the cost of workers' compensation claims alone totalled more than $100 million in1995. The construction industry has the country's highest number of fatalities, with one worker killed every 2-1/2 days on average, or about 145 deaths annually. Manufacturing industries have the worst reported injuries record, running at 296 daily, or about 108,055 reported time-loss injuries in 1996. <<<Click on the body parts to get the stats on juries.